Ease of Preparation: Medium
- 1 leek, sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) olive oil, plus more to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coriander seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) field tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts (2 L) water
- 1 pounds (454 g) dried rustic bread, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- 1 pound (454 g) black cod, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- 4 ounces (113 g) chorizo, roughly sliced (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot combine leek, onion and olive oil. Season with salt.
Crush peppercorn, coriander seeds, and garlic with mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.
Push the leeks and onions to one side of the pan and add crushed spices and garlic to the cleared space. Toast the spices for 30 seconds then mix in with the leeks.
Add tomatoes to the pot and season with salt. Pour in water and allow to simmer and reduce for 30 minutes.
Take the pot off heat and pulse tomatoes with an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper.
Return the pot to the heat and add the bread cubes, cod and chorizo. Simmer the soup just long enough to cook the cod through, about 8 minutes.
Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with a drizzle oil and chopped cilantro.