This recipe is from the Beef & Beets episode of A is for Apple hosted by Robert Jewell.
- 2 lbs (908g) ground medium burger meat
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- Fresh toppings such as lettuce, tomato
- 1 ½ pounds (681g) beet root
- 2 medium Spanish onions, peeled
- 3 granny smith green apples
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) whole coriander
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500ml) Cabernet Sauvignon red wine
- 1.5 cup (375ml) sugar
- For the relish peel and dice the beets into ¼ inch (.63cm) dice.
- Peel and dice and core the apples in ¼ inch (.63cm) dice. Dice the Spanish onions into medium dice.
- Add all to a medium saucepan.
- Add the mustards seeds, coriander, ground cloves, cinnamon, red wine and sugar.
- Place the saucepan over medium low heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 40 minutes or until all liquid is evaporated and the relish is thickened. Makes 3 cups (750ml) of relish.
- Note: the recipe makes 3 cups (750ml) it can be successfully divided. This relish can be served with pork, chicken and a great addition to a cheese platter. Keeps for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl mix the burger meat with garlic powder, oregano, and Worcestershire.
- Gently form the meat into 4 hamburger rounds. Using your thumb make a dimple in the center of the burger. (This is done so the meat doesn’t turn into a large meat ball when cooking)
- Place a large cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Drizzle the burgers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the burgers into preheated cast iron pan. Allow the meat to caramelize and turn a deep golden brown before flipping. Adjust heat if necessary.
- Flip and repeat for the remaining side.
- Cook burgers until desired doneness.
- Remove burgers place on buns top with beet root relish and your favorite toppings.