This recipe for salt cod ricotta calzone is from episode 14 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- 1 Fillet salt cod (about 12 oz)
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Canola Oil
- 1 Medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ Fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Parsley
- ¼ cup (60ml) Flour for dusting
- 1 Package puff pastry
- ½ cup (120 ml) Ricotta
- 2 tsp (10ml) Olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Eggs for egg wash
- 1 cup (250ml) Water
- In a medium bowl, cover the salt cod with cold water and soak in the refrigerator for 24 hours or for up to 2 days. Change the water at least three times over that time frame.
- Remove cod from water and rinse with clean water. Pat dry with a clean towel to remove excess moisture.
- Season cod with pepper (no salt) and place in a heated pan with a tablespoon of oil. Allow to cook 5 minutes or until crust develops on one side. Flip the fish. Add a cup water to the skillet and let the fish steam for another few minutes until cooked through and flakey.
- Take pan off heat.
- In a new pan, heat remaining tablespoon of oil and add onion, red pepper, fennel, and garlic. Season and soften veggies. Place softened veggies into a bowl.
- Flake apart cooked cod and add to the vegetables. Add chopped parsley and mix all together.
- Scoop mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and spread into an even layer. Put in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Sprinkle some of the flour on a flat surface and lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on top. Cover remaining pastry with a damp towel until ready to use.
- Sprinkle the pastry with a bit of the flour and fold in half. Sprinkle more flour on the pastry and roll with a rolling pin. Repeat 3 times – folding and rolling until the pastry is 2 cm thick. Cut out a medium sized circle. Using a mold or an upside down bowl, cut a good sized circle out of the pastry. Again cover the pastry circle with a damp towel until ready to use. Repeat above for the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Remove fish mixture from the fridge and place it into a bowl. Stir in the ricotta cheese, pepper, and olive oil and mix together.
- In a small bowl, whisk two eggs.
- Fill pastry circles with chilled mixture and brush egg wash around edge. Fold over into half-moon shape and press the edge down with a fork. Use a knife tip to slice small slits across the top of the pastry packages to allow steam to escape. Brush more egg wash over top. Place calzones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook in oven until the pastry is golden and the bottoms are crisp