This recipe for Prawn Linguine with Tomato Red Wine Sauce is from episode 9 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- 24 jumbo prawns (or shrimp), shell on
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Red wine, bold
- 4 cups (950 ml) pureed plum tomatoes
- 1 basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cold, cubed, unsalted butter
- 2 pounds (907 g) fresh linguine noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Peel and devein prawns and reserve shells.
- Add 2 teaspoons (10 ml) olive oil to a pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until translucent, but do not colour. Add prawn shells and stir. Pour in red wine and allow to reduce by half – about 5-10 minutes.
- Add puréed tomatoes, basil leaf, salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil to the sauce and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer into a new pot. Continue to simmer lightly over medium-low heat for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Prepare linguine according to package instructions.
- Add prawns to a heated pan with canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle in sauce to coat prawns. Add unsalted butter. Add cooked linguine to pan and toss.
- Plate linguine and top with prawns. Garnish with fresh basil. Finish with pepper and olive oil as desired.