This recipe for mixed seafood burgers with horseradish tartar sauce is from episode 11 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- ½ lb (225 g) Prawns
- ½ lb (225 g) Scallops
- ½ lb (225 g) skinless Halibut (or any white fish)
- 2 Green onions, thinly chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Lemon zest (optional)
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (120 ml) Panko, or regular breadcrumbs
- ½ Red chilli
- 3 Tbsp (42 g) Butter for frying
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) Neutral oil for frying
Optional burger toppings
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Parsley
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Capers
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Horseradish sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut the scallops into small chunks.
- Butterfly the prawns by slicing it horizontally, halving the thickness of the meat. Cut into small chunks.
- Place cold halibut in a food processor and pulse until fish is well chopped and pulpy. Do not over process. Transfer to the bowl of scallops and prawns. Add green onion, parsley, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Separate eggs. Add yolks to the seafood and herbs. Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the seafood mixture. Add panko, red chilli, and stir together gently. Flatten mixture in the bowl with a spatula and press it gently into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to bind.
- Use a 4-inch mould to form seafood mixture into patties. Sprinkle a layer of panko over a flat surface, place your mould on the panko and fill it with the seafood. Flatten the seafood into a thick fish burger. Sprinkle with a touch of panko.
- Add butter and oil to a hot pan. Lay patties in the pan, panko-covered side down. Cook for 1-2 minutes a side, until outer layer is crispy. Remove patties to a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in oven for 3-5 minutes. Cooking time will depend on thickness of burger.
- Drizzle burger buns with oil and place in oven with the burgers.
- Spoon tartar sauce over each bun. Add seafood patty, and more tartar sauce. Finish burger with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, onion, and a pickle, or your own favourite toppings.
- Combine ingredients and serve.