This recipe for crab cakes with orange aioli is from episode 12 of Fish The Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) orange zest
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) orange juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) Canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 621 ounces (600 g) potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 18 ounces (500 g) white crabmeat, flaked
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) parsley, chopped
- Flour, as needed
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups (470 ml) panko
- 1 cup (240 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil,for frying
- Olive oil, for finishing
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and chopped chives in a medium bowl. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over low heat and sauté garlic and onion for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Place the onions and garlic into a bowl. Add crab meat.
- Squeeze boiled potatoes through a ricer into a bowl of crabmeat. Add chopped parsley, one egg yolk and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of flour. Season with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Flour a flat work surface and keep excess flour on your hands. Scoop out golf ball sized dollops of the mixture and form into 1-inch (2.5 cm) patties.
- Add oil to a large, heavy bottomed pot and heat to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl small bowl. Combine panko, parmesan, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Dunk cakes in egg bowl with one hand, and coat them in the panko mixture with your other hand.
- Fry cakes in the hot oil for about 2 minutes, until golden. Cook in batches, making sure the oil is at 350˚F (180˚C) for each batch.
- Use tongs to remove cakes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain . Season with salt, grate some parmesan, and drizzle some olive oil.
- Spoon aioli onto a serving plate and lay out crab cakes, topping with more aioli. Serve immediately.