This recipe for crab cakes with orange aioli is from episode 12 of Fish The Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Sour cream
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) Orange zest
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Orange juice
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Fresh chives, chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Canola oil
- 4 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 600 g Potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 500 g (1 lb) Fresh white crabmeat, flaked
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Fresh parsley, chopped
- Flour, as needed
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 cups (500 ml) Panko
- 1 cup (250 ml) Grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable or Peanut Oil for frying
- Olive oil for finishing
- Prepare the aioli.
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and chopped chives in a medium bowl. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over low heat and sauté seasoned garlic and onion for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Place the onions and garlic into a bowl. Add crab meat.
- Squeeze boiled potatoes through a ricer into a bowl of crabmeat (you can also use a cheese grater). Add salt, pepper, and chopped parsley and one egg yolk and 2 Tbsp of flour mix together.
- Flour a flat surface and keep excess flour on your hands this will help with forming the potatoes. Form cakes into about 1 inch patties.
- Place oil in a deep pan and heat to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl small bowl. Combine panko, parmesan, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Dunk cakes in egg bowl with one hand, and coat them in the panko mixture with your other hand.
- Fry cakes in the hot oil for about 2 minutes, until golden. Cook in batches, making sure the oil is at 350˚F (180˚C) for each batch.
- Use tongs to remove cakes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess moisture. Season with salt, grate some parmesan, and drizzle some olive oil.
- Spoon aioli onto a serving plate and lay crab cakes, topping with more aioli. Serve immediately.