This recipe for Maple and Soy Black Cod with Butternut Squash Purée is from episode 3 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- Four (4-5 oz) Pieces black cod, skin on
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) Maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) Soy sauce
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Clove
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
Butternut Squash Purée
- 1 Butternut Squash, halved, seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 orange (zest)
- ½ lb Melted butter
- ½ cup Water (possibly more)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place maple syrup, soy sauce, cinnamon stick, and clove into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool. If you need to cool the marinade quickly, pour it into a bowl of ice.
- Put the fish in a plastic bag. Pour cooled marinade over fish to cover and gently massage it into the fish.
- Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F/190 °C
- Clean the butternut squash. Combine cinnamon, salt and brown sugar in a bowl and sprinkle over top of the inside of the squash. Place the squash halves face down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the squash and allow to cool.
- Remove cod from marinade and pat with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Season the fish with salt.
- Add oil and butter to an oven proof fry pan. Once hot place the fish in skin side up. Cook for 2-4 minutes until you develop a crust on the fish.
- Remove the fish from the pan temporarily. Drain pan of butter and oil, and place the fish back into the pan, skin side down this time.
- Place in fish into the oven for approximately 10 min.
- Remove the squash and allow to cool until you can remove the skin comfortably with your fingers. Scoop the flesh into a blender. Add maple syrup and orange zest. Pour in melted butter and blitz. Add water as needed to achieve silky consistency. Season to taste.
- Remove the fish from the oven. It should be firm, but soft and breaking apart slightly.
- Peel skin off cooked cod and plate on top of butternut squash purée.