This recipe for grilled Mahi Mahi with charred orange beurre blanc and citrus slaw is from episode 4 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- 1 cup (250 ml) Red cabbage, thinly shaved
- 1 cup (250 ml) Napa cabbage, thinly shaved
- 100 ml Juice of an orange
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Orange, segmented
- ½ cup (120 ml) Grapefruit, segmented
Mahi Mahi and Charred Orange Buerre Blanc
- 2 Oranges, halved
- 3 tsp (15 ml) Olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Shallots, minced
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup (120 ml) White wine
- ½ cup (120 ml) unsalted Butter, cubed and chilled
- 4 Mahi Mahi Steaks, 6 oz (170 g) each
- Canola oil (for grilling)
- In a 1-quart saucepan, reduce the orange juice to ¼ cup (60 ml). Allow to cool.
- Place chopped red and Napa cabbage in a bowl. Pour in reduced orange juice. Add ¼ tsp salt, pepper, olive oil, and orange and grapefruit segments. Mix all together and chill until ready to serve.
- Using a grill pan over high heat, place oranges cut side down and cook for 1-2 minutes until the oranges are nicely charred. Remove and set aside.
- Place shallots in an oiled skillet, season with a touch of salt and sauté until translucent – approximately 1–2 minutes. Add wine and let it reduce until almost dry.
- Squeeze juice from charred oranges into the skillet and reduce by half. Whisk in the cold butter and swirl about until melted. Remove from heat and let rest until time to serve.
- Drizzle canola oil over Mahi and season with salt and pepper lay it on the grill pan at high heat for 2 minutes. Turn the fillets ¼ turn to and continue to grill for another minute. Flip the fish and repeat the same actions as above.
- Place cooked fish on top of butter sauce. Top with slaw and garnish with chives.