This recipe for Rainbow Trout Tartare stuffed Avocado is from episode 10 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
Serves: 4 as an appetizer
- 8 ounces (227 g) rainbow trout fillet, deboned and skinned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) minced, seeded jalapeño
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) minced fresh cilantro
- 1 orange, zest
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) black sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoons (2.5 ml) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 ml) olive oil, plus more for the salad
- 1 avocado
- ½ lime (to rub on avocado), plus juice for salad
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads of frisée, leaves separated
- 1 orange, segmented (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ginger, frozen
- Fried wonton wrappers, for garnish
- Place trout on a plate; transfer to the freezer until well-chilled but not frozen, about 10-15 minutes.
- Thinly slice trout lengthwise into 1/8-inch (3 mm) wide sheets. Cut each sheet into 1/8-inch (3 mm) long strips. Cut strips crosswise into 1/8-inch (3 mm) cubes. Place cubes in a medium bowl.
- Add shallot, jalapeño, cilantro, chives, orange zest, black sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, olive oil, and stir all together.
- Lay plastic wrap over a flat surface. Cut avocado in half. Scoop the meat out of the shell, keeping it as intact as possible, and rub with a lime to keep from browning. Slice each half of the avocado as thinly as possible without cutting all the way through. Fan slices out slightly.
- Spoon the trout tartare into the centre of the avocado. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lift the edges of the plastic wrap up to enclose the avocado, and gently press the avocado around the tartare, shaping it into a ball. Twist the ends of the plastic closed. Place wrapped avocado balls in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt.
- Add frisée to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and lime juice. Toss.
- Remove plastic wrap from chilled, stuffed avocado and plate on a bed of frisée salad. Add orange segments, fried wontons, and grated frozen ginger for garnish.