This recipe for Oysters Motoyaki is from episode 1 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- 12 Medium to deep cupped oysters, rinsed and scrubbed (like Caraquets)
- Rock Salt
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) red miso paste
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Mirin
- 1 cup (250 ml) Japanese Mayonnaise
- 1 Tsp (15 ml) Chilli Garlic Sauce (Sambal Oelek)
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- Pre-heat the oven for a low broil
- Shuck oysters and lay on a rock salt-covered baking sheet. Keep as much of the liquor in the oyster shell as possible.
- Mix red miso paste and mirin in a medium bowl. Add Japanese mayonnaise and whisk thoroughly. Spoon in chilli garlic sauce and squeeze in lemon juice. Stir all together.
- Spoon about 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of mixture over each oyster. Place baking sheet in low broil for approximately 5 -10 minutes until it is golden brown and bubbling on top.
- Combine panko, chopped parsley, pepper, and oil in a bowl for an optional garnish. Spread over a plate and lay oysters on top.