This recipe for deep fried prawn with prawn oil tartar sauce is from episode 15 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
Serves: 2-3 as an Appetizer
- 1 lb (450 g) Large prawns, cleaned and shelled (reserving shells)
- ½ cup Flour
- 4 Tbsp Corn starch
- 2 Tbsp Powdered ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thyme leaves (for garnish)
- 2 litres vegetable or peanut oil (for frying)
- 2 cups Canola oil
- 1 medium Shallot chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Dried Chilli
- 2 sprigs Thyme
- 3 oz Prawn shells
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Egg yolks
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Capers
- 1 cup Prawn oil
- Prepare prawns – remove shells except for the tails and reserve.
- Combine flour, corn starch, and powdered ginger in a bowl for dry dredge. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat prawns in dredge and gently lay in 350˚F (180˚C) oil, for about a minute, until golden. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess moisture. Sprinkle with salt.
- Transfer prawns to a serving plate and drizzle mayonnaise over top. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
For the Prawn oil:
- In a sauce pot combine all ingredients, let steep for 30 min on low heat.
- Strain oil from saucepan into a jar. Place in a bowl of ice water and set aside until completely cool.
For the mayonnaise:
- Combine mustard, garlic, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a food processor and blitz. Pour in chilled prawn oil a little at a time, and continue blitzing. Toss in capers and pulse for just a second.