This recipe for curry seafood chowder is from episode 11 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 Kaffir lime leaf
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 2-inch Piece ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red Thai curry paste
- 8 ounces (227 g) mussels
- 8 ounces (227 g) clams
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) fish stock (or clam juice)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) flour
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Sriracha
- 6 medium prawns, tails removed
- 12 small potatoes, par boiled and quartered
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped (both leaves and root)
- Oil a wok over medium heat and add kaffir lime leaf, onions, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add curry paste and stir. Add mussels, clams, coconut milk, and fish stock. Cover wok with a lid to allow mussels and clams to steam for 5-7 minutes until they open. Remove the mussels and clams from the cooking liquid and set aside. Remove lime leaves from the sauce.
- Put butter and flour in a saucepan and whisk vigorously. When it starts to bubble, lower heat and add a ladle of the curry broth. Whisk and keep adding liquid until you get the chowder consistency you want. Add lime juice, fish sauce, sriracha, and steamed mussel and clam meat. Discard the shells. Add cooked potatoes and prawns. Season with salt and pepper. Stir together and cook for 4 minutes until prawns are pink and cooked through.
- Finish with chopped cilantro. Ladle into a bowl and drizzle with oil.