This recipe for Black Sesame and Almond Crusted Tuna with a Ginger Miso Dressing is from episode 1 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- ½ cup (120 ml) Almonds
- ½ cup (120 ml) Black Sesame Seeds
- Two 4 oz (110 g) Ahi Tuna steaks
- Canola oil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Fresh ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Miso paste
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Mirin
- 1 tsp (5ml) Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) neutral Oil (grapeseed or canola)
- ½ cup (120 ml) Enoki mushrooms, or brown beech mushrooms
- Crust Tuna. Blitz almonds and black sesame seeds in a grinder. Transfer to a plate. Press tuna onto mixture so top and bottom are covered. Place in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Make vinaigrette. Place sliced ginger, shallots, and garlic in a small bowl. Add miso paste, mirin, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and canola oil. Stir together.
- Place oil in a hot skillet. Add mushrooms and a dash of salt. Sauté for 30 seconds. Place mushrooms and oil in the vinaigrette.
- Drizzle oil over chilled tuna, and season lightly with salt. Lay on grill at high heat for about 20-60 seconds (depending on desired doneness) and flip. Cook for another 20-60 seconds. Remove tuna.
- Slice tuna with sharp knife and plate. Drizzle vinaigrette over top and serve.