This recipe for Oyster Po-Boys with Chipotle Mayo Slaw is from episode 10 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- 2 cups (470 ml) pre-shucked oysters, drained (about 36)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 ml) flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon (12.5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon ( ml) Black pepper
- 6 cups (1.4 L) Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 baguette or ciabatta loaf
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) canned chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ¼ head napa cabbage, shredded
- ¼ head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 lemon, juice
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice open baguette but do not fully separate halves. Add oil and salt and bake in the oven 4 minutes, or until toasted.
- Heat a pot of oil to 375°F (190°C).
- Add egg yolks, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic, shallot, maple syrup, and canned chipotle pepper sauce to a blender. Drizzle in olive oil while blitzing; about 20 seconds.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Use one hand to dunk the oysters in the egg wash, and the other hand to dredge in the dry ingredients.
- Fry coated oysters in the hot oil, turning occasionally, until golden and just cooked through, about 1-2 minutes. Use tongs to remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Immediately season with salt.
- Place the cabbage and carrots in a bowl. Squeeze in lemon juice. Drizzle in oil and toss.
- Spread chipotle mayonnaise in crispy baguette. Add the slaw and top with the fried oysters