This recipe for Oyster Po-Boys with Chipotle Mayo Slaw is from episode 10 of Fish the Dish starring Spencer Watts.
- 2 cups (500 ml) Pre-shucked oysters, drained (about 36)
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Whole milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) Cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 ml) Flour
- 2 ½ tsp (12.5 ml) Salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) Black pepper
- 6 cups (1420 ml) Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Baguette or ciabatta loaf
- 4 Egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Red wine vinegar
- 1 Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Dijon
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 med Shallot
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Chipotle Pepper Sauce, canned
- 1 cup (250ml) canola oil
- 2 medium Carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ¼ head Shredded napa cabbage
- ¼ of a Head shredded red cabbage
- 1 Lemon juice
- 6 (90 ml)Tbsp Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice open baguette but do not fully separate halves. Add oil and salt and crisp in the oven 4 minutes at 375®F. Remove when lightly toasted
- Heat a pot of oil to 375°F (190°C).
- Make the mayonnaise. Add egg yolks, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic, shallot, maple syrup, and canned chipotle pepper sauce to a blender. Drizzle in olive oil while blitzing; about 20 seconds.
- Prepare the oysters. Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Use one hand to dunk the oysters in the egg wash, and the other hand to dredge in the dry ingredients.
- Fry coated oysters in the hot oil, turning occasionally, until golden and just cooked through, about 1-2 minutes. Use tongs to remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Immediately season with salt.
- Prepare the coleslaw. Place the cabbage and carrots in a bowl. Squeeze in lemon juice. Drizzle in oil and toss.
- Spread chipotle mayonnaise in crispy baguette. Add the slaw and top with the fried oysters