A standard that’s served alongside pretty much any Japanese meal. Easy to master, and you can easily add ingredients to make this wonderful broth your own, even any vegetable you have left in the fridge (carrots, celery, and red peppers all work).
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) dashi stock powder (dashi no moto)
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) white or red miso paste
- 1 package (8 ounce/227 g) silken tofu, cut into 1/2-inch ( cm) cubes
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch ( cm) pieces
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the dashi powder and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and and stir just until warmed through. Whisk in the miso paste just before serving. Serve the soup garnished with green onions.